Five days ago I started an elimination diet for thyroid dysfunction after I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Disease. The photo on the left (where I look like a serial killer) was taken on Sunday (day 1). The photo on the right was taken this afternoon (day 5). Neither photo has a filter, and the only makeup I am wearing in today’s photo is lipstick. Even I can tell that the difference is fairly amazing.
So what causes the difference? A diet that has no sugar, no dairy, no grain, no fruit, a considerable less amount of vegetables that I am used to eating, way more protein than I want to eat – which forces me to drink twice the amount of water than normal.
This is what has happened to me in the last 5 days:
- I had a really rough start – I woke up having a panic attack in the middle of the night, and ended up in the emergency room. I can’t 100% be sure that it is diet related (considering it happened on the first day), but eating animals is not natural for me – so it might be related. A little valium and some rest, and I am fine.
- My skin is a lot clearer, and brighter.
- My eyes are clear.
- I am hungry all the time. I am obsessed with food now. If I am not eating or cooking, then I am counting down the minutes until I can be eating or cooking. I hope this passes soon – I am so tired of looking at photos of food on pinterest and instagram.
- I have lost 7lbs in 5 days (without trying).
- I walk faster
- For the very first time since I have been living with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome I don’t have huge dark circles under my eyes.
- I don’t crave salt! Seriously for 20 years I have basically wanted to have a salt lick installed in every room in my apartment. NO MORE!
- I am still exhausted but its a different kind. Its the kind that is caused by over scheduling ones self. I understand its early days still – but I am hopeful.
- Today, I feel pretty. And I can’t tell you the last time I was able to say that.
- I smile
I feel a little like I am getting my life back. I have a long way to go, but I am definitely healing. And a healing journey makes me happy.
One final lesson that I learned – a single cinnamon red heart is enough to cause a headache for an entire night. So now we know, sugar really is detrimental.